SickKids job opportunity in Genomics for MSc and PhD graduates
For soon-to-be or recent graduates who have worked in genomics, SickKids is advertising a new genomics position in the Cytogenetics and Microarray department.
Details can be found below or at this link. Interested students are welcome to apply online.
The Genome Diagnostic laboratory at The Hospital for Sick Children is hiring a full-time Genetics Laboratory Specialist to join our innovative multi-disciplinary clinical diagnostics and academic team. The successful applicant will be part of a team that applies industry leading genomic technologies for the diagnosis and management of children with genetic disease, birth defects and cancer. This is a unique opportunity to use your scientific skills to impact patient care. The Laboratory Specialist will be accountable to the Operational Supervisor and Clinical Laboratory Directors. The Laboratory Specialist will work in the Cytogenetics Laboratory within the Division of Genome Diagnostics.
Here’s What You’ll Get To Do
- Develop, evaluate, and implement new genomic technologies, with opportunities to contribute to academic activities.
- Interpret genetic variants from next generation sequencing data and prepare draft clinical diagnostic reports.
- Maintain complete and accurate documentation of data generated and work performed, to prepare data for presentation and publication, and to participate in the training of laboratory staff, trainees, and students at SickKids and the University of Toronto.
- Become familiar with the Quality Control, Quality improvement and Quality Assurance programs to support the effective operation of the diagnostic laboratory, and to ensure that safety guidelines are followed.
Here's What You'll Need
- A M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree with experience in genomic database utilization.
- Proven competence and experience in a clinical or research laboratory setting, and demonstrated analytical and scientific competence with genetics concepts.
- Familiarity with genomic technologies and proficiency in data interpretation.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and a team player with a high degree of independence and professionalism to provide high-level genetics expertise to health care providers.
- Full-Time, Permanent
This position offers full benefits including health and dental coverage, vacation time, sick time, personal days, LTD, life insurance and the opportunity to participate in the SickKids Pension plan.
Our Commitment to Diversity
The children and families we care for are diverse, and so are our employees. All are welcome to join our unique organizational culture and be part of our inclusive team.
If requested, SickKids is proud to make available accommodations to support applicants with disabilities during the interview and assessment process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially. SickKids is also committed to providing services in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French whenever possible.
Thank you for your interest in joining SickKids. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with our Hospital policy, employment at SickKids is conditional upon the Hospital’s receipt of all necessary documentation.
How to Apply
Tip: Combine your cover letter and resume into ONE document as you cannot upload multiple documents as part of your application.
If you are still experiencing technical difficulties please email email@example.com to send us a short description of the issues you are experiencing. Please note that we will not accept resumes sent to this inbox but we are happy to respond to requests for technical assistance.
Dedicated exclusively to children and their families, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is one of the largest and most respected paediatric healthcare centres in the world. As innovators in child health, we lead and partner to improve the health of children through the integration of healthcare, leading-edge research and education. Our reputation would not have been built – nor could it be maintained – without the skills, knowledge and experience of the extraordinary people who come to work here every day. SickKids is committed to ongoing learning and development, and features a caring and supportive work environment that combines exceptionally high standards of practice.
When you join SickKids, you become part of our community. We share a commitment and determination to fulfill our vision of Healthier Children. A Better World.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to work alongside the world’s best in paediatric healthcare.